He was born in 1886 in Proskuriv (now Khmelnytskyi). Graphic artist, painter. People’s Artist of the RSFSR (1962). Honored Artist of the USSR (1964). Winner of the USSR State Prize (1946). Full member of the USSR Academy of Arts (1949). State awards. He studied in the Kharkiv private studio of E. Schreider (1895; 1900-1904), in the New Art Workshop in St. Petersburg (1913-1916) under the direction of B. Kustodiev, A. Ostroumova-Lebedeva, E. Lancer, M. Dobuzhinskyi. He graduated from the Faculty of Law of St. Petersburg University (1912). He worked in the St. Petersburg magazine “Theater and Art” (1912-1916), in the Hermitage (1918-1930). Professor of the Department of History of Engraving of the Petrograd Free Art and Educational Workshops (1921-1923). Exhibitor since 1915.